Thursday, February 08, 2007

Cake Report

Today was the Day of Cake. Sunni and I loaded up the babies and drove on down to some cake bakeries. The first place was Dallas Affaires. I have to give them props for treating us so right. They would not have been more helpful had we been brides. Honestly, I kind of wish we'd worn our veils. They asked what kinds of cake we would like to try, even apologized for not having more of a selection, and then they let us try the filling flavors. I made the mistake of giving Jackson some cake to see if he approved and then, since I didn't give him the whole piece, he had a complete meltdown. He obviously loves cake, too. I went ahead and took him to the car where I realized we were both covered with icing. Happily, mind you.

Then we had the best thin crust pizza of all time at Scalini's on Abrams. You'll want to make a visit as soon as possible. Both babies, now covered in spaghetti sauce over crusty frosting, did some serious flirting with our adorable waitress. We think they were trying to recruit her for the babysitting lineup.

Then we went to another bakery which for the time being shall remain nameless...in case they redeem themselves later. We walked in and they immediately put a sign on the door saying, "Back at 4." Not a good sign. The worker basically said she would help us if we could decide on everything in 2 minutes. Any longer and the floor would swallow us up. We even heard who was presumably the owner angrily saying, "You let new customers in?" Wow. We got some petit fours and left.

Now that you know more than you wanted to about our cake tasting day, I'll tell you that two days ago my little boy learned how to stand without pulling up first! I knew it was going to be a very special day when, from the first moment I put him on the floor in the morning, he wouldn't stop bear crawling. And then he just lifted himself right up like such a big boy! And today he took about 10 steps behind his airplane toy. It was so crazy to see him walking behind it! I had to pinch myself!

The following is for the grandmas. We had an 8:00 doctor's appointment this morning. Mama was showered, hair blown dry and straightened, makeup on, dressed, and in the car with Baby at 7:25. I can't believe it either. Little boy's cold turned into a bacterial infection and he has to be on an antibiotic. The doctor said his first ear infection is on its way, too. But the medicine will hopefully nip it in the bud. He weighed in at 23 pounds! Better get started now on your bicep curls before I hand him over to you next week!

5 comments:

boomama said...

Just so you know?

When Pam? Left the wedding? And Jim ? Was watching her?

AYYAYYIIIII - I think my heart dropped down to my knees.

And I would like some chocolate cake with cream cheese icing, thankyouverymuch.

Richardsons of HV said...

What did you decide to do about the cake????

Them Chandlers said...

Okay. I have to post now. I wanted to see the responses to your post...to see how amazed everyone would be to your being primped and ready to go at 7:25 a.m. (truly a great feat!)...I didn't count on a spoiler...thanks boo mama :) hee hee. I tivo'd The Office last night and have been anxiously waiting to watch it later this afternoon during nap time. All I can say is that I am refusing to look at the top lefthand part of the page now. Ha! Anyway...hope you found a dee-licious cake!!

Sunni at The Flying Mum said...

My petit four was deliciouso!

Anonymous said...

Manda,

Society Bakery has the absolute best cupcakes in all of the land. I hope they were not the bakery that shunned you!

Maggie